Join Girls Like Me, Inc. online as we watch Self Made, a Netflix limited series inspired by the life of Madam C.J. Walker. Let’s make an effort to stay together, learn, and have fun!
GLM's Self Made Trivia & Discussion Guide
(Answers to trivia questions at the end of page)
1. What is the real name of the lady cosmetic entrepreneur depicted as Madam's competitor?
2. What is the full name of Madam's husband during the rise of her company?
1. Should you go full force toward your dream or fund it with a day job/career? Is there ever a time to go full force toward your dream with your full energy and not do anything else?
2. When fighting toward a dream and coming up against obstacles unique to being a woman and/or a person of color, is it a fight against society, an enemy, or a reflection of yourself (mindset, background, habits, etc.)?
1. What is the name of the famous Black public figure Madam tried to get to endorse her business expansion?
2. What's the name of the organization the women belonged to who actually invested in Madam's company in the film?
1. Are celebrity and influencer endorsements of your brand as important as customer support and word of mouth? Is either more important? Is one not necessarily needed?
2. How important is networking, getting to know people, and pitching your business ideas when building your brand?
1. Whom did Madam aspire to be like in business?
2. Can you name one of Madam's many products from her line?
1. Is it more effective to promote an ideal image or what's popular instead of what is real or testimonial?
2. What are you willing to sacrifice for success? Is all work and no play necessary?
1. Who is the director of the Self Made series?
2. Can you name an executive producer of the Self Made series?
1. What happens once you've become successful and accomplished your goals? What's next?
2. Is it more important to be true to yourself or to honor, uphold, and fulfill your family's legacy?
Other Themes to Research & Discuss (questions range all ages and levels of understanding; you deem what is appropriate for your group)
Being a storyteller for your brand
The importance of making your own money as a woman
"Dreams are God's way of showing you his plan"
Rejection leading to creating opportunities for yourself and others
The patience and determination needed for entrepreneurship
Madam C. J. Walker's quick and historic rise as the blueprint for Black women business and brand building
Unsupported or jealous men vs. men who are supportive and allies; misogyny; a woman's role in her family, home, business, and society
Black Women making more money than Black men; the effect it has on the societal relationship between the two groups
Demanding respect as a woman in male-dominated spaces
Women supporting and competing with other women in business; healthy competition
Jealousy, bitterness, and rivalries; being friends with someone only because you both dislike the same person
Colorism, what it means, and what it looks like
Mixing love, family, and business; Managing business partnerships professionally
Mother/Daughter relationships and expectations
The effect that business and career can have on marriage
"Never run back to what broke you"
Ethical and unethical business practices; having integrity in business
The importance of a reputation
Legacy building and passing on wealth
Black wealth and elitism; staying connected and giving back to the community once successful; showing off and enjoying your wealth
The opportunities that success and money afford Black people, women, and people of color; Adversity and obstacles success and money can't protect you from as a Black person, woman, or person of color
Opportunities and careers available in the hair and beauty industry
When and how to collaborate with others; when to join forces to grow someone else's brand and when to start your own
Empowering employees vs. expanding business and profits
GLM WATCH PARTY CONTEST HAS ENDED
How does this work:
1. Watch Self Made on Netflix on your own starting at 6 pm, Friday, March 20, 2020
2. Check-in on GLM’s Facebook and Instagram for commentary and trivia questions throughout the night
3. First correct responses to trivia questions will receive prizes. Trivia answers, winners, prizes, and announcements can be found here on this page.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/girlslikemeinc.org
8 Individuals have the chance to win a $10 Marsh+Mane Gift Card!!!
Marsh+Mane is a Black woman-owned beauty supply store that is a sanctuary where you can cater to every aspect of your wash-day routine. The prizes are NOT sponsored by Marsh+Mane. This is sponsored by founder of Girls Like Me, Inc., Elisa Wiah.
1. There will be 8 trivia questions that will result in 8 individual winners. 4 Questions on Girls Like Me, Inc.'s Facebook stories and 4 on our Instagram stories. There will be 2 different questions per episode.
2. You must be following or like the page of Girls Like Me, Inc. on whatever platform you are answering your question from.
3. You must tag Girls Like Me, Inc. (@girlslikemeinc) and use hashtag #GLMWatchParty in a post or story at least once before your answer is submitted on whichever platform you are submitting from.
4. The person/account who gives the first correct answer for any one of the questions will be one of the 8 winners.
5. The answer must be submitted via private message.
6. You can not win twice; one win per account/person. You can not win more than once on multiple platforms (ex. answering on Facebook and Instagram).
7. The contest will end promptly at 11 pm and no answers will be accepted after that time.
8. Winners will be notified via a private message on the platform they submitted their answer as a response to that answer. The winner must have a valid email address in order to accept their prize and their email address will be added to Girls Like Me, Inc.'s mailing list.
9. Persons/accounts who publically post answers will be blocked. Anyone who is rude, disrespectful, or deemed inappropriate by admin will be blocked.
10. HAVE FUN!!! Answer questions and be apart of this awesome conversation.
All questions can be sent via private message on either platform or via email to
TRIVIA QUESTION ANSWERS:
1. Annie Turbo Malone
2. Charles Joseph Walker
1.Booker T. Washington
2. National Association of Colored Women
1. Carnegie, Ford, and Rockefeller (look up their businesses)
2. Madam Walker's Wonderful Hair Grower (look up others)
1. Kasi Lemmons (look up other cast and crew names and their previous projects)
2. LeBron James (look up others)
ALL EVENTS ARE CANCELED FOR THE MONTH OF MARCH
Girls Like Me, Inc.'s always fun and always free Group Mentoring Events are led personally by founder, Elisa Wiah, and based in West Philadelphia, PA for girls ages 11-18. Participants are able to engage with other girls like themselves during our curriculum-based discussions, forums, and activities.
We would love for you to join us on our outings and Miss Elisa is ready to be your mentor! CLICK HERE to learn more.